Thursday, July 16, 2009

Defying Gravity

It was nice to see today that the booty indentation on my comfy couch has almost returned to its original flat state. And if you've seen my butt - you know this is no small feat...

For the past month since my last post, I've been a passenger on a roller coaster of mixed emotions but have managed to practice the late MJ's Thriller and Beyonce's Single Ladies dance routines; established a schedule of visits to the gym; made regular plans with fellow unemployed friends; and dreamt about the options I have for my future career. It appears I've embraced unemployment.

One of my dream options was actually a result of a true nightmare in my simple life: The loss of my north star at the age of 9 to cancer.

A couple of weeks ago, while enduring yet another dip in my roller coaster ride, my dear friend, Tori, reminisced with me about my days of monetary success and all the stuff I was able to buy during those years.

Tori: But do you remember your response when I asked if you were happy?
I thought - is this some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy? I had said something silly about wanting to do something more fulfilling.
Tori: I remember you mentioning something about working with cancer patients.

It scares me even as I type. But there may be some excitement mixed in with that fear. How can I dedicate 3 years at this point in my life to pursuing this path? All the practical questions arise, what about our home? Our lifestyle? Money?

Last week, I was cleaning out some old boxes of photos and cards when I stumbled across my 2001 resolutions listed below:

#1: Join gym
#2: Work out at gym
#3: Be selective in who I give my heart to (Courtesy of cousin May)
#4: Relax more
#5: Call sister more
#6: Take a yoga class
#7: Volunteer at homeless shelter
#8: Take one class to advance towards Radiology Certification

I actually accomplished all but the last item of my resolutions. I was both shocked and ashamed that I had once assigned priority to this path and dismissed it. So, even though I'm 8 years late, I've registered for the initial classes to explore this field. Feels a bit like defying gravity - I hope I don't fall flat...

No comments:

Post a Comment