Sunday, June 14, 2009

Organized Fun

One of my "getting my butt off the couch" inspirations was learning the dance choreography to Michael Jackson's, "Thriller". This way, when people ask, "What are you doing with your (unemployed) time off?" I can actually respond with something I'm proud of - regardless of how silly, and if I'm lucky - I may even get a smile from the friend that's asking. The dance really is just organized fun, isn't it? The term tends to sound like an oxymoron or nerdy for lack of a better word. Isn't fun a result of spontaneity or some coolness factor?

At the end of the season premiere of Weeds, Nancy Botwin is sitting at a mall courtyard in SoCal when outdoor speakers blast the loud tunes of Michael Franti and Spearhead’s infectious “Say Hey,” while a flash mob occurs.
Nancy: Hey what's going on?
Kid: Flash Mob
Nancy: Why?
Kid: Cuz' it's cool (with a duh attitude)



Incredibly fun! But someone spent a lot of time organizing this and the participants had to organize their days to ensure ample practice time to pull this off! This inspired me to search more on this "flash mob" phenomenon. And I love the concept of it, an act done with no particular reason other than entertainment for the participants and others who are simply bystanders experiencing it. Generously bringing about spontaneous smiles and laughter...

The below video encompasses my continued search for all things inspiring. I will revisit when I need a reminder to dance in all the places I visit (via feet and/or mind).

Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment